Anxiety is an unpleasant emotional state usually lacking a clearly identifiable cause.
The sensation can range from one of mild unease to severe distress. Mild anxiety is often a chronic state in which the person feels constantly apprehensive, for no apparent reason.
The use of sedatives or anti-anxiety drugs may sometimes be appropriate in the short term to help the person manage in a crisis situation. However, the condition can only be resolved through identifying and addressing contributing factors and either removing them or managing them more effectively.
Such factors could include:
- External stress factors such as job, finances or relationships
- Overuse of stimulants such as coffee
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Food sensitivities
A Naturopathic response would include:
- Herbal medicines to support the nervous system, dampen anxiety reactions or improve the person’s resilience under stress
- Lifestyle and dietary advice
- Help with stress management
- Stress relief including massage
- Bach Flower Essences for positive emotional transformation